Advocacy strategies for open access to the agricultural literature - summary of class discussion
Tension between public good and agribusiness - talking points
- taxpayer funding
- impacts everyone - whole world - we all eat (are food consumers)
- food security / avoiding starvation and famine
- food safety
- how much funding to research on turf & lawn as compared to food? what's more important?
- linkages with health and environmental science
- counter to disinformation (e.g. pesticides)
- agribusiness - tie conditions to subsidies?
Agriculture as a public good - possible alliances
- small / family farms
- rural populations
- organic farmers
- farmers' market customers
Strategies for talking with agricultural researchers
- medicine has prestige and lots of OA / good role model
- can the farmers who might benefit from this research access your articles?
- adapting information to local conditions (an argument for re-use?)